Sunday, April 10, 2011

Harbor Freight Infrared Thermometer teardown


Infrared Thermometer

Item #93984
About a year ago I got one of these. Being the curious type I recently tore it apart to see if there was any way to interface it to a Microprocessor. Here are some pictures of the teardown.

Front
Back
Opened up
Closeup
Now were getting somewhere. The unit is a TN2 version 1.2A made by ZyTemp. Also note the header at the top. AGCDV. Looks promising.
Removed from case    





ZyTemp has a website HERE. A quick look at the site show the TN2 listed as a TN205 HERE


Unfortunately the TN205 specs say nothing about the mysterious AGCDV header. Fortunately a further seach of the ZyTemp site yields this gem.



It's a TN901 infrared module and it seems to have a 5 pin header for output. I wonder of it is the same? Grabbing the user manual PDF we find that the header is labeled AGCDV just like my TN2.
Here's the text:
"3.4 Pin Assignment of TN0; TN9
Warning: The Dimension in this drawing is for reference only.
For actual dimension, please download from
http://www.ZyTemp.com/products/download/ExtDrawing.asp
V: Vdd G: GND
D: Data (Serial Data) C: Clock (Serial Clock)
A: Action Pin ( pull low to measure, floating while to Write Data into the IRT)
Note: TN0; TN9 has the same pin assignment."

 Cool. We now know what the pins do. Further research shows that it is some form of SPI interface and that the action pin causes the device to measure continuously if grounded. Time to get the pins out where we can work with them. Grabbing an old pc expansion card  I harvested a 5 pin header. I then soldered it to the TN2 board like so:













Then I needed to make a hole in the case so I could access the new pin header. Butchering the case with a pair of mini dykes gave me this:




After reassembly it still works!!


A cable from an old serial card gives me this:



 Now I'm ready to fire up my bus pirate and see what I can get out of it. Alas the unit's batteries are almost dead so I need to get some more before I can go on. Stay tuned for part II.

8 comments:

  1. in the PDF file ...
    http://www.meas-spec.com/downloads/TSEV01C_rev2.pdf
    .. is described, that the thermometer uses an I2C BUS. EXAMPLE: For reading object temperature send: 0xB6
    Return values i.e.: Byte(0) = 0x0E, Byte(1) = 0xAA
    Temperature Tobj = (256 * Byte(0) + Byte(1)) / 100 = (256 * 14 + 170) / 100 = 37,54°C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the in depth information given by you about the Thermometer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your blog. I always try to keep up on latest innovations. If you are interested, I'd recommend checking this website for latest products: http://www.medicalexpo.com/medical-manufacturer/infrared-thermometer-336.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today, I visit your website and after reading your blog i realize that it is very informative. I'm highly impressed to see the comprehensive resources being offered by your site.
    Chhipa Medical

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get this Non-Contact #infraredthermometer that delivers quick, easy, and accurate readings. Just point and shoot this Smart Sensor device for temperature readings.
    2 in 1 Professional Infrared Thermometer

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Forehead and Surface Infrared Thermometer from SantaMedical is specially designed to obtain the most accurate temperature readings of tear ducts or the forehead. The temperature on the forehead reads from 1” to 4” away. The temperature is displayed on the LCD screen and it has a backlight for enabling the night time usage and it can even display results in total darkness. The thermometer features the audio alarm for alerting whenever the person is suffering from the high temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gud Morning.... Your Blog is Awesome,The information was very useful.Keep the good work going on!wikipedia! do check it out

    ReplyDelete